Rehab in Style
by Mary Watterson, Fort Collins Pet Sitter, Dog Walker & Trail Guide
Bella, being highly interested in fashion, was recently searching her Haute Couture Haunts on Twitter, when she was introduced to Shameless Cones.
Having had to wear an appalling plastic cone herself after an accident at the pedicurists, she immediately started Following them and they soon became friends.
Shameless Cones is a family-owned business that was bright enough to ask the question: "Why do e-collars have to be so butt ugly?" Soon afterward, their newly launched R & D Department (comprised of various and sundry dogs) came back with the answer: "They don't."
And so they launched an e-collar business they aptly named "Shameless Cones." Bella's favorite is the Sunflower design, featured below on a very happy dog!
Why, you may ask (besides them looking so cool) are colorful e-collars a plus for your dog? Well, that again, goes back to the genius of Shameless. You see, knowing both dog behavior and dog-owner behavior, they knew that owners respond emotionally to their pets. Seeing your beloved pet in an ugly, e-collar may illicit such thoughts as: "Man, you poor pathetic dog!" or "I'm so sorry I have to do this to you!" or, worse still: "It must suck to be you!" Needless to say, they were right! Our energy translates directly to our dogs.
I guarantee if you put your dog (or cat) in one of these cool cones you'll have nothing but smiles and positive energy oozing from your body. In fact, you may even start to wag!
We hope you support our good friends at Shameless Cones. Please visit their great website to see all of their cool products. Personally, we can't wait to see what they come up with next. Bella is hoping to see a Court Jester line. Bailey wants an NFL line...
Be sure to forward this post to your vet so they too can spread the happiness. Rehab does not have to be a bummer when you accessorize it with a Sunflower Cone!
What Santa Shouldn't Put in Fido's Stocking:
Rope Toys Can Kill Your Dog
By Mary Watterson, Fort Collins Dog Walker, Pet Sitter & Trail Guide
Rope toys have become very popular of late. Go to any pet store, and you'll see a variety of shapes, sizes and styles to choose from. They are even touted by many vets as great "natural flossing" tools for your dogs. While that may be the case, we're hoping that this year Santa's Workshop doesn't make any.
We all know that dog's have a tendency, just like kids, to put things in their mouths. Dogs will chew and swallow just about anything, given the opportunity. We also know that it's unwise to let your dog chew on string, fishing line, yarn, tinsel, etc. But we nevertheless allow them to chew on rope toys or even play tug-of-war with them. Why is that? Is it because we trust that whatever is brought to the marketplace is safe? Is it safe because vets have recommended it?
Clearly we have every reason to trust our vet. But what if some veterinarians are misinformed? What if a potential danger simply hasn't occurred to them? Well, there's one dog lover in San Antonio who will be much more careful next time around. 'Next time around' because her dog recently suffered an agonizing death after playing with a rope toy. And now she wants them pulled off the market.
Lea Robinson lost her one-year-old, pug-beagle mix "Perry" after two unsuccessful surgeries to fix severe internal injuries. You can read her story here. According to Jaie Avila of WAOI, Robinson said: "she bought a rope toy for Perry and within minutes he tore it apart." Robinson then disposed of the ruined toy and only later discovered Perry had ingested a large amount of string. According to Robinson, the toy got tangled up in Perry's intestines and acted like "a saw."
Unfortunately, Robinson's dog is not the only dog who has died after playing with rope toys. The Internet is strewn with similar tragedies related to this seemingly innocuous toys.
Mina Youssef, a vet at Becker Animal Hospital, (unrelated to Perry's death) commented on similar incidences saying: “It is very common to see that. What it does, it can cause a lot of damage and it can cause a blockage in the intestine which basically makes the intestine twist like an accordion.”
And what makes it worse, is it is not easily detectible. According to Avila: "not only can string or strands of rope cause severe internal damage to a dog, they don't show up on x-rays. Often an ultra-sound must be performed, which can make the problem difficult and costly to detect."
As with all toys we give our dogs, we have to continue doing everything in our power to make sure they are safe and harmless for them to play with. Please help spread the news that rope toys can be very dangerous.
In the meantime, please be sure to keep your pets away from all your Christmas decorations. Turning your back, even for a minute can be disastrous! From all your friends at Poochy Doos, LLC, we wish everyone a very merry (and safe) Christmas and New Year!
Salt & Chemical Ice Melters:
Preventing Illness & Chemical Burns
By Mary Watterson, Fort Collins Pet Sitter & Dog Walker
Wintertime in Colorado, while filled with unparalleled recreational opportunities, is also filled with challenges for your dog, chief among them ice and salt-based ice melting products.
Surprised? You’re not alone. Many people are unaware of the serious health problems posed by exposure to these products.
- Severe dermatitis, sores, infection or blistering
- Inflammation of paws
- Chemical burns of paws
- Chemical burns of the tongue and mouth and digestive tract
- Gastrointestinal problems such as vomiting
- Kidney Problems
How This Happens:
Dogs who have access to walkways treated with salt-based or chemical ice melters frequently get the super-heated pellets (175◦) stuck to their paws. This can cause direct exterior damage to the paw, and result in further interior damage when your dog licks and ingests the pellets. Repeated ingestion can result in kidney problems or pancreatitis. Bloat (an emergency situation) is a greater threat in larger dogs who tend to drink large amounts of water.
What To Do:
- Buy pet-friendly ice melting products
- Use Musher’s Secret Paw Protection
- Invest in doggie booties
- Keep your dog’s fur trimmed around his or her pads
- Avoid salted areas
- If exposed, wipe your dog’s paws liberally with a warm cloth to remove the salt
- If your dog consumes salt contact your vet immediately
CSU, PBS & Temple Grandin
The World Needs All Kinds of Minds
by: Mary Watterson, Fort Collins Dog Walker & Pet Sitter
CSU is teaming up with Rocky Mountain PBS to put on yet another special documentary about our very own Temple Grandin. Ms. Grandin, the subject of the recent HBO biopic played by Claire Danes, is an esteemed, world-renowned professor at CSU.
Through her personal struggles with autism, Grandin's insights single-handedly ushered in humane practices for cattle and farm animals - turning the industry upside down. Simply put, Grandin's mind completely changed the mind of an entire industry.
The new documentary, entitled "Temple Grandin: The World Needs All Kinds of Minds," is set to air 4/15 @ 1:30 on Rocky Mountain PBS channels, just in time to mark National Autism Awareness Month in April. It can also be viewed after its debut by visiting www.colostate.edu/templegrandin.
Our hats off to Prof. Grandin for her tireless, humanitarian work in the field of education and animal welfare!